Aim: The main aim of the Trust is to provide a secure funding base to ensure the continued work of the International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature (ICZN).
- Safeguarding the current roles of the ICZN:
- To revise and publish the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature
- To resolve specific cases of nomenclatural uncertainty by advice and rulings which are published in the Bulletin of Zoological Nomenclature
- Development programme for the enhancement of ICZN activities:
- Provide free web access to the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature
- Produce a web-based user guide to the Code
- Provide an electronic version of the Bulletin, with free access to all abstracts
- Act as a repository for authoritative lists of genus and species names of animals
- Win support from the user community to act as registrar for the validation of new animal names
ITZN recognises that, in the light of the diversification of its activities, ICZN will require a substantially increased income in the coming years. ITZN has adopted the following strategy for the generation of new and enhanced income streams as rapidly as possible:
- To work closely with the President, Council and Commissioners of ICZN, in a combined effort to raise the required funds.
- To identify supporters in the user community (i.e., research institutes, learned societies, other organisations and industry) who can provide regular sources of funding.
- To apply for project funding from grant-giving bodies (charitable, institutional, governmental and industrial) for specified segments of the ICZN development programme
- As mandated by the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) and International Union of Biological Sciences (IUBS), to obtain long-term financial contributions from national, international and global funding bodies.
- To provide new services and products that promote good practice in nomenclature and generate new and additional resources.
- For long term sustainabilty to raise an endowment fund, interest from which will supplement and eventually replace other sources and thereby guarantee the future effective operation of ICZN in perpetuity.
- To establish a worldwide support network to achieve these objectives through strengthened relations with existing allied bodies, and additional partnerships where none at present exists, including national or regional Associations of Zoological Nomenclature, national academies of science, regional and international funding bodies and private and corporate charitable benefactors.